Yes, allergies can cause conductive hearing loss. Conductive hearing loss is a curable hearing loss caused by a physical barrier, such as fluid or ear wax, blocking sound waves from passing through the ear.

When our bodies are allergic to something, our immune system produces antibodies to fight off the allergen. The antibodies release the histamine hormone which can trigger itching, swelling and increased mucus production in the ear and sinuses. The increased fluid in the ear can also serve as a breeding ground for bacteria that can cause ear infections.

Once the allergen is gone, or when treatment is taken, the hearing loss linked to the reaction usually goes away. However, if you still have concerns about your hearing health, please see a hearing professional to discuss your options.

Are you ready to start your journey to better hearing? If you are a Canadian over the age of 18 who may have hearing loss, book a free hearing test with us today!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *